Jacksonville vs Lanphier: The rubber match

Joe Hall, Staff Writer

The third game in a series is generally called “the rubber match” and that is what tonight’s game is… the rubber match in a series between rivals Jacksonville and Springfield Lanphier. However, this time it is for the regional championship. This rivalry  heated up about three weeks ago when Lanphier and Jacksonville met at the Bowl. In that game, Jacksonville held Lanphier off with a 44-42 victory. However, that was after three technicals were given and one of their players Yaakema Rose was ejected from the game and the “phantom clock” tip-in with .06 seconds left. In the first game Lanphier defeated Jacksonville by 9 at Lober-Lika Gymnasium. Controversy further ensued when a Springfield school board member accused the officials of being racist.  The loss shocked and outaged the the Lanphier community and the racist remarks outraged the Jacksonville community.

Recently, another controversy popped up. Lanphier head coach, Blake Turner, was suspended for the Regional Championship game after dressing 16 players for the regional semifinal game against Springfield High School. This is a violation of the IHSA Rules which state that a team can only have 15 players dress for a postseason contest.

The Crimsons will take on the Lions at 7 P.M. at the Bowl. Doors open at 5:30.