JHS girls’ tennis wrap up their season

Niki Patel, Staff Writer

Tennis 4

The girls’ tennis team recently wrapped up their season. Overall, the team of 18 girls had a wonderful season, filled with exciting practices at the Illinois College tennis courts and entertaining times during away meets. The team will be losing three seniors: Lucy Deal, Niki Patel, and Carissa Hewitt. Nevertheless, coaches Joe Brooks and Harmon Deal are looking forward to next season, welcoming new faces on the team.

The CS8 Conference Tournament this year proved to be successful. All of the top six players advanced to the second day of matches. Senior Lucy Deal qualified for fourth place. After this, sectionals approached on October 16 and 17. They were held at Washington Park in Springfield. At that meet, Lucy placed fourth once again, hereby advancing to the State Finals Tournament. She will be traveling to Chicago on October 22 to play there. Best of luck at State to one of our very own, Lucy Deal! Coach Deal graciously stated, “I’m really proud of our girls. Everyone won their first round matches in both conference and sectionals. That is the best showing JHS girls’ tennis has had in a long time.”

Senior Night was held on October 13 at the Illinois College tennis courts. It was a moment of mixed feelings of happiness and sorrow. Jacksonville played Jerseyville High School on this day. Seniors and their parents were recognized and appreciated for being an extraordinary addition to the tennis team for the past several years. The freshmen, sophomores, and juniors did a phenomenal job of decorating posters for the seniors and bringing in presents for them. While it was difficult to say goodbye to the seniors, the girls were all happy to get the chance to know one another better. According to seniors Niki and Lucy, “The number one thing we will always miss about fall is playing on the JHS tennis team. We are thankful for our coaches’ helpful assistance in becoming better tennis players as well as our teammates for looking up to us as role models.”

Tennis 2