Student supports breast cancer awarenss at JHS

Kate Alexander, Staff Writer

October is known as Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a campaign that has helped to increase research for breast cancer. Breast cancer awareness can be spread in many ways. Some of the most common include wearing pink, participating in a run or walk, and educating people about cancer screenings. There are other unique and creative ways to spread awareness as well. Addy Blimling, a sophomore at JHS, has come up with an idea that is just that.

Addy is a student at JHS who strongly supports Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast cancer became a very real part of her life when her mother was diagnosed with it a few years ago. Blimling says that it was a very scary and confusing time in her life because she was young and didn’t know much about the illness or treatment. However, when she learned about treatments, she began to feel hopeful and knew that her mom could beat it. Her mom is now cancer free but Addy has not stopped supporting others who are fighting this sickness.

In October of 2020, Addy decided to raise money and awareness for breast cancer. She began creating bracelets that served a double purpose, giving people the opportunity to add pink to their outfit and getting people to donate money to the Mia Ware Foundation, a foundation that educates and spreads awareness about breast cancer. Each bracelet sold is one more step for cancer research. 

“Making bracelets is important to me because I want to help other people going through this (breast cancer) and raise awareness,” Blimling said. 

One can contact Addy to purchase a bracelet. Each bracelet is $3 and 100% of the proceeds go to the Mia Ware Foundation. These bracelets are more than just stylish; they are made for an incredibly important cause and help to improve and increase the research for breast cancer. Buying even one bracelet can make a difference!