2019 Homecoming royalty announced

Kylie McCaherty, Staff Writer

This year’s Homecoming court consisted of a group of athletically and academically talented kids. Each one of them has had many accomplishments throughout their high school careers. Jacksonville High School should be proud to have such bright young people in their pool of students! This year’s court consisted of five girls and five boys. The girls were Serenity Anders, Cheney Brewer, Ashley Haggerty, Annika Lawless and Gabbi Meehan. The boys were Collin Brunstein, Wesley Ervin, Carlos Rubin De Celis, Jackson Schildman and Wilson Tomhave. 

To start off, Cheney Annabelle Brewer is the daughter of Jim Brewer and Kyla Crow. She has had a strong role on the JHS cheer team for four years, and this year she is a co-captain. She has cheered on the football boys during the Friday night lights, as well as lead her team to wins during competition season. Cheney also has made the Honor Roll during her years in high school and is in the ASL National Honor Society. She shows a passion for American Sign Language, wanting to minor in ASL interpreting and major in nursing after high school. 

Another court member is Carlos Alejandro Rubin De Celis the son of David and Alison Rubin De Celis. Carlos showed his athletic ability through swimming and running. He has been a part of the swim team for all four years of his high school career and on the Cross Country team for three, and he lettered his junior year! He is extremely successful in his academic achievements. Carlos is a part of the National Honor Society, the National Spanish Honor Society, and the National English Honor Society. After high school, he wants to attend the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana. There he wants to study to become a pediatric specialist.

The next court member is Ashley Nicole Haggerty. She is the daughter of Jeff and Lesa Haggerty. She has been a part of two different school sports teams during her high school career, the cheer squad for two years and the J’ette dance squad for two years. Outside of school, she competes on the Stevens School of Dance competition dance team. She has also shown her strong academic ability by being a member of National Honor Society, National Spanish Honor Society, National English Honor Society, National Society of High School Scholars, and the high honor roll. Next fall, Ashley plans to attend Baylor University to study to become a physical therapist.

Her court partner is Wesley Luke Ervin, son of Jim and Debbie Ervin. Wesley has been very involved in athletics in his four years by participating in football, basketball, and baseball every year and lettering varsity for each of those sports. He has also been inducted into the ASL National Honor Society and has made the honor roll. After graduation, Wesley plans to study to become a physical therapist. 

Another court member is Annika Leigh Lawless. She is the daughter of John and Raelene Lawless. Annika has been an amazing player on the softball team for three years while also being a member of FCA for four years. She has made honor roll all four years of high school as well as being an active member of the science club. Outside of school, she is very involved in her church’s youth group. Next fall, Annika plans to attend a four-year university and study to become a clinical psychologist. 

Collin Scott Brunstein is the son of Kevin and Lisa Brunstein. He has been a part of the football team for four years, a varsity player for three years and was an All-Conference player his junior year. Collin has also been a three-year member of the baseball team. Collin has shown his academic abilities by making the honor roll all four years of his high school career. After high school, Collin would like to pursue physical therapy. 

Next is Gabbi Rose Meehan. Gabbi is the daughter of Thomas and the late Amy Meehan. She has shown her love of dance by being a four-year member of the J’ette dance team and is a squad leader this season. Gabbi shows more leadership skills by being a REF for three years and being a REF program coordinator for two years. She is also a part of this year’s Morgan-Scott CEO program. Gabbi has a strong academic ability and shows that by being a member of the National English Honor Society and the National Honor Society where she is treasurer. After graduation, Gabbi plans to major in nursing and then later attend grad school and become a nurse practitioner. 

Her court partner is Jackson Michael Schildman, the son of Michael and Melissa Schildman. He has been a member of the football team for four years and a part of the swim team for two years. He is a strong leader, and a way he shows that is by being a two-year member of student government and is the senior class president. Another way he shows his leadership is by being a REF for three years and a REF coordinator for two years. He is also a member of the National English Honor Society and is Vice President of the National Honor Society. Next fall, Jackson plans to attend Maryville University to study criminal justice and psychology and hopes to become an FBI Investigator.

The 2019 JHS Homecoming Queen is Serenity Renee Anders! She is the daughter of Jimmy and Candice White. Serenity has shown her phenomenal athletic ability through playing on the soccer team for four years, taking the role as captain for one. She is also a two-year member of the tennis team and a one-year member of the basketball team. She has shown her academic skills by being a member of the National Spanish Honor Society. She shows her strong faith by being an active member of her youth group at Lincoln Avenue Baptist Church, and she attended a mission trip to the Dominican Republic in the summer of 2018. After graduation, Serenity plans to major in elementary education and minor in art. 

Finally, the 2019 Homecoming King is Wilson Lee Tomhave. Wilson is the son of Ben and Amanda Tomhave. He is greatly involved in the sports at JHS. He has been a four-year member of the football team, a two-year member of the basketball team, and a four-year member of the track and field team. Wilson is a member of Our Redeemer Lutheran Church and a member of Praireland. He enjoys spending time with his family, helping his uncle work on his race car, driving his Grandpa’s tractors in parades, and spending time with his girlfriend Annika. Next fall, Wilson plans on attending Lincoln Land Community College with the aspiration to become a fireman.

Congratulations to the 2019 Homecoming Court!