District Key Club Convention

Olivia Lee, Staff Writer

Key Club

Each year, members of Key Club in the United States are brought together at an annual district-wide event called District Convention/Leadership Conference (DCLC).  Members of Illinois-Eastern Iowa Key Club traveled to Springfield, IL for their District Convention/Leadership Conference at the Crowne Plaza.  The event lasted the entire weekend beginning on March 11 and ending on March 13.  This year’s theme was “Travel the World of Service.”  At DCLC, Key Club members are given the opportunity to meet and get to know other Key Club members from their same district while learning about other district service projects and expanding their Key Club knowledge.  The Illinois-Eastern Iowa District includes 30 divisions, 200+ clubs, and 10,000+ members.  This year, four Jacksonville High School students attended DCLC in Springfield.  Nash Oldenettel, Michaelene Mays, Kaylee Ezard, and Kenady Richardson represented JHS at this event.  The dress code for this event was professional, business professional, and casual.  During their stay, these students were given the opportunity to learn and understand different Key Club advisor positions for their own club and how to recruit more members for their club.  They also learned about different charities, mainly about the Spastic Paralysis Charity.  Given this knowledge, these four can lead our Jacksonville High School Key Club more efficiently and effectively through service projects and club meetings.  JHS Key Club recently held officer/advisor elections and each of these students holds a position of authority for the club.  Nash Oldenettel is positioned as President of the JHS Key Club, Michaelene Mays as the Vice President, Kenady Richardson as Secretary, Kaylee Ezard as Treasurer, and Molly Jackson as Historian.

Key Club Convention 1

The District Convention/Leadership Conference was a great opportunity for the Key Club members of JHS to help strengthen the JHS Key Club and the Jacksonville community with future service projects.

Key Club Convention