A week dedicated to kindness

Niki Patel, Staff Writer

“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” With this mindset, JHS will participate in The Great Kindness Challenge from January 25th – 29th. Your initial reaction might be, “What exactly is this?” To answer that question, The Great Kindness Challenge is a proactive and positive bullying prevention initiative that helps to improve school climate and increase student engagement. At the heart of this one-week program is to perform as many acts of kindness as possible. JHS students are encouraged to bring the culture of kindness not only to the school environment but also continue those acts in the community and in our world. After all, kindness has the power to make this realm a better place.

Sherri McLaughlin, JHS school counselor and Illinois School Counseling Association President, is an ambassador for the Great American Kindness Challenge and deemed it an ISCA statewide initiative. “All students have the right to learn in a safe, supportive and kind environment,” stated McLaughlin. The Great Kindness Challenge provides a tool that actively engages students, teachers, administration, families, and the community in creating a school culture of acceptance, tolerance, unity, and respect.

This week, show acts of kindness in the following ways: smile at 25 people, leave a flower on someone’s doorstep, write a thank you note to your mail carrier, paint a picture and give it to someone, hug your sibling or friend, cut out ten hearts and leave them on ten cars, and the list continues. At the end of the week, students can turn in their checklist for a treat. The hopeful outcome for the week is to take pride in the feeling that accompanies a gracious deed. Alongside, a lesson to be learned is that kindness is contagious. Let’s show that by carrying out small acts of kindness; together we can make a positive difference!