Shakespeare’s Year

Mikaela Moorman, Staff Writer

Shakespeare is a renowned name around the world. The reputation that Shakespeare built around himself during his lifetime supersedes his death. His works are read and produced by students, enthusiasts, theatres, and countless people even after his death 400 years later. The creativity that he let flow into his writing is continuously enjoyed to this day in his plays and sonnets. That’s why centuries after his death people all around the world pay tribute to the Bard who made a profound impact on the English language and history.

Throughout the year there are mini celebrations and tributes all the way from his hometown in Stratford-upon-Avon to Beverly Hills, California. On April 23, the anniversary of his death, an organization in Los Angeles is performing excerpts of Macbeth, Othello, Hamlet, Twelfth Night, As You Like It, The Merchant of Venice, King Lear, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and countless more. Shakespeare’s hometown will open to the general public for the very first time. Their weekend long celebration will consist of a Birthday Procession, street entertainers, theatre workshops, and tours.

The brilliant mind that caused to bring all of this together was buried in a tomb in the Holy Trinity Church. There have been rumors and superstitions since the 1800s that Shakespeare’s grave was robbed and in its wake his skull went missing. Archeologists have repeatedly proposed to see if they could search the infamous man’s resting place. However, the final words of Shakespeare on his tombstone have left people hesitant to disturb his gravesite.

An archeologist skirted the warning on his grave that says, “Good friend for Jesus sake forbeare, To dig the dust enclosed here. Blessed be the man that spares these stones, And cursed be he that moves my bones,” and used ground penetrating radar to see what was in the famous poet’s grave. They learned that it was rather shallow and that the Bard had most likely been buried in a shroud due to the lack of the presence of metal. They confirmed that there were voids where there should be a skull and that the soil had been disturbed previously on the upper half of the body.

Nevertheless, I think it is safe to say that the famous poet will not soon be forgotten.