Sandy Hartsook: Making a difference

Megan Evans, Staff Writer

Sandy Hartsook has many things to be admired for including the fact that she is a Jacksonville High School graduate herself! She graduated in 1980, and JHS was then located on State Street whereas now we all know the Crimsons are found on North Diamond Street. “Things have changed a lot since I was in school,” states Hartsook. She also attended college at William Woods College in Fulton, MO. When she went to school there, it was an all-girls school with an all-boys college just one mile down the road. Today, both William Woods College and the all-boys college, Westminister College, are co-educational. Hartsook went to college for fashion merchandising and later changed her major to Home Economics so she could be employable in many different areas. “I had a wonderful professor that I admired and she inspired me to get my teaching certification,” says Hartsook. She is certified to teach a large list of classes such as Clothing and Textiles, Foods and Nutrition, Interior Design, Consumer Education and Resource Management, Child and Daycare Services, Institutional and Home Management Services, Interpersonal/Family Relationships/Parenting. Not only does she have a wide range of teaching preferences, but she also enjoys many activities outside of school. “I love attending athletic events that my sons participate in. I like to boat, camp, and swim,” states Hartsook. She also enjoys decorating and crafting, as well as finding good bargains at garage sales and flea markets. Of course with her teaching background, it is no wonder that she also enjoys cooking and entertaining. When asked what her advice for the class of 2016 would be, she replied, “Live every day to the fullest! Develop good work ethics, have strong morals and become involved in your community.” Hartsook’s favorite part of being a teacher is getting to know the students. “I hope I can make a positive impact in their lives,” she says. From being in Mrs. Hartsook’s classes, I can testify that she has made a positive impact on my life, and many others’ lives! Thank you, Mrs. Hartsook!