James Ian Lebshier: All about learning

Niki Patel, Staff Writer

When entering Room 614, students can expect music playing, water bottles in various locations, and of course the enthusiastic Astronomy and Physical Science teacher, James Ian Lebshier. Originally from Edinburg, IL, Lebshier has attended several different colleges, including Lincoln Christian University, Illinois State University, and the Community College of the Air Force. He has been deployed to war three times with the Air Force. Apart from this noble and courageous stage in his life, Lebshier decided at an early age to dedicate his career towards teaching. He stated, “My friends always came to me for advice for some reason, and I have a love for helping others solve problems.” With this constructive mindset and personality, Lebshier was confident that he would find success in the field of education.

Lebshier enjoys teaching at JHS primarily because he “was accepted quickly as part of the staff rather than being treated as an outsider or ‘the new guy.’” Both the staff members and students have graciously welcomed him and helped him integrate into the new school, which has granted him the opportunity to grow as an individual. From Lebshier’s perspective, the beauty of teaching is learning something different every day. As he mentioned, “I’ve always enjoyed being in the spotlight as a comedian so I can tell goofy jokes in front of the classes as I lecture.” Lebshier’s passion for science is evident in his exuberant teaching style, and he aspires to alter his students’ outlook on the subject by teaching them the relevance of a firm understanding of science. The most valuable expectation he holds for his students is communication. Ranging from questions related to coursework inside the classroom to struggles with personal issues, Lebshier wants his students to get the message that he is willing to lend a helping hand at any time.

Lebshier pursues a wide range of interests and hobbies outside of school during his free time. He is an avid concert goer and a music fanatic. In fact, he has been in band and choir his entire life, and has won six “outstanding male vocalist” awards from junior high and high school. Physical exercise is a major segment of his life, considering that he enjoys working out, going for a run, and playing practically any sport. In addition, a blessing he is grateful for is his three–year–old son, who is basically a photocopy of Lebshier himself.

As an Astronomy student, I have witnessed that Lebshier strives to make his class entertaining. He normally starts class off with a short video based on the theme of the day: Moron Monday, Too Cute Tuesday, Weird Animal Wednesday, Thank God Thursday, and Epic Fail Friday. Alongside notes, he incorporates interesting videos into lecture as well. If you are questioning which elective to insert into your schedule, Astronomy is the answer – not only because the class is enjoyable but also because having Lebshier as a teacher will be a wonderful experience!