Craig Wright: To help and mentor

Carlie Day, Staff Writer

After patrolling on the Jacksonville streets, Officer Craig Wright has accepted a change and maybe a challenge. For the first time, Wright is patrolling the hallways of a high school and is eager to be a mentor to so many students.

“Yes I did. I’ve always wanted to help people,” says Officer Wright when asked if he always wanted to be a cop. Officer Wright was born in Jacksonville, IL and graduated from Jacksonville High School. After high school, he began college at DeVry University in Downers Grove, IL. From there Wright changed his mind and pursued his education at the Police Institute at the University of Illinois. When asked how long he has been a police officer he said that he, “has been a cop now for just over eleven years” and “that he is the first person in his family to be a police officer.” When I asked Officer Wright, “Who or what inspired you to be a cop?” he replied,” No particular person or thing. It’s just what I’ve always wanted to do. I like to help people and be a mentor.” When asked what he likes about being a cop, Wright’s reply was, “It is different every day; it is never the same.” He also stated that he likes the fact that he gets to “teach people, help people and fight crimes.” When asked if this was his first time working at a high school he answered, “Yes, it is my first time working at a high school. I like it because I get to help and teach kids now instead of having to do it, or deal with them being in trouble later in life,” Officer Wright replies when I asked him if he enjoys the change in scenery.