Scott Robinson: The best teacher for chemistry and advice

Teri Black, Staff Writer

Sometimes things do not always go according to plan, though sometimes this is for the better. Scott Robinson did not always expect to be a teacher; originally he planned on being a veterinarian. In the end, though, he decided to care for a different kind of animal: the high schooler.

Robinson was born in Indiana, graduated high school in Missouri, and then went on to college at the University of Illinois. He likes to tell the story of how he used to throw his chemistry book out the window of his dorm (this is to let students know that studying is inevitable and also to enlighten them in the ways of a crafty college student who dreamt up an imaginative way to use a study break). However, it was only after veterinary school that he decided teaching was a possibility. When asked why the idea of teaching suddenly manifested in his life, Robinson answered quickly, saying that it had a greater impact on the lives of other people. His favorite part of the job is seeing the change in his students from sophomore to senior year. All he wants is to “make a difference.”

Even without the added fact that Robinson likes to show off how fireproof the fireproof desks are, he is not your typical chemistry teacher. In line with his love of animals, he lives on a farm which he describes as “diverse.” In his free time, he trains horses, though he does not do it as just a hobby; he is a professional horse trainer who trains for show events. He also likes to fish and train herding dogs.

It is no secret that for many students, chemistry is beyond hard. While he does not flaunt the difficulty of his class, Robinson likes to remind his students the world is not all peaches and cream. He strives to prepare his students for higher education, be it AP Chemistry or another college-level course. He is skilled in offering advice and imparting knowledge for students who are curious about life after high school, either in entering the workforce or attending college. During the interview, I tried to come up with an interesting question that would show a bit about Robinson’s personality. The question I decided on was: what is your favorite quote or motto? After a moment of contemplation, Robinson replied: “Make the best decision today, then you should have no regrets.”