Arnie Rahe: New teacher at JHS

Devon Huff, Staff Writer

Mr. Rahe is a new teacher at Jacksonville High School. He was originally born in Bluffs, Illinois. He went to college at Western Illinois University took graduate courses at ISU and SIUE. He then got a Bachelor of Science degree in Agricultural Science and Education. The reason he chose teaching as a career was because of the agriculture teacher in his high school. Rahe says that he was a major influence. He also said that there was a strong need for agriculture teachers when he started teaching in 1980. Currently, Rahe is teaching Introduction to Technology and Advanced Woodworking. His favorite class to teach is woodworking. He used to teach an engineering class before coming to JHS. He said that there were many projects they did in class that were fun. He has also taught agriculture for twenty years, later moving to Waverly where he taught Industrial Arts for fifteen years. He retired there in May and moved to JHS. When asked what he liked about JHS so far, he said, “My students have been wonderful. I have been treated with respect by students, teachers, and the principal.” He also said, “My experiences here at JHS have been some of my very best in my 35-year career. Other than school work, Mr. Rahe actually has some very interesting hobbies such as woodworking, golf, hunting, and showing his cattle to people who visit his farm. He lives on a small farm near Chapin with his wife, Connie, who is an English teacher at Meredosia. He also has a sixteen-year-old son named Lane who is a sophomore at Triopia. He has three cats named Joey, Bubba, and Skittles along with twenty cows and calves that are oreo cows.