The student news site of Jacksonville High School

Crimson J

• "The future belongs to those who prepare for it today." --Malcolm X

• Congratulations, Mrs. Stock! YOU make a difference at JHS!

• "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be."

Beauty and the Beast enchants audiences

Molly Jackson, Staff Writer

Disney’s original animated film Beauty and the Beast, based on the traditional French fairy tale by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve, was released back in 1991. Now, twenty-six years later on March 16, Disney released a live action film which retells the classic story we all know. For the most part, the new movie stayed consistent with the original animated movie, although a few changes were made. New songs were added to the movie such as “Evermore,” “Days in the Sun,” and “How Does a Moment Last Forever,” along with the original songs. Some minor changes in the plot were also made. For example, the new version incorporates a detail from Villeneuve’s fairy tale when Belle asks her father to bring back a rose from the town he is travelling to. This is eventually what makes the Beast angry as he catches Maurice stealing a rose from the garden. Also, more background on the lives of Belle and the Beast is given. The audience learns what happened to Belle’s mother and sees why the Beast grew up to be so cruel. The Beast also already knows how to read in the new movie, which makes more sense considering he’s a prince. Finally, at the end of the movie it is revealed that not only the castle but the entire town was under a spell, and they had unknowingly missed family and friends the whole time. As a whole Beauty and the Beast was a beautifully done film which flowed nicely, had amazing special effects, and stayed true enough to the original story to please any Disney fan.

Beauty and the Beast enchants audiences