Jennifer Collins: “I love people and literature”

Carlie Day, Staff Writer

“I love people and literature. Becoming an English teacher allowed me to be around people all of the time and share works that I love. I think communication skills are the most important skills to have, so I like that I can help people acquire and improve them,” answers Mrs. Jennifer Collins after being asked why she wanted to become a teacher. Collins was raised in Greenfield, Illinois. After attending MacMurray College, she has been teaching for thirteen years, spending that time at Pawnee High School and Jacksonville High School. After wondering if she has always wanted to be a teacher, she replies, “Teaching has always been one of my choices. When I was younger, I thought about being a lawyer or a psychologist. Who knows? I might have a second career.” Collins says that English Language Arts has always been her favorite subject; however, she also loves band and choir too. However, Collins admits, “I’m not very good at either of them, but I love to sing…. And I married a drummer, so music continues to be a big part of my life.” Asking what her childhood influences were, she says that her most profound influence was being a member of a farming family. “Growing up on a farm teaches you a lot about hard work, responsibility, and planning. On a farm there is something to do, and if no one else is doing it, you should be. It also teaches you that your plan will never go as you expected. You learn to be flexible.”  When asked the question that one should probably never ask an English teacher: what is your favorite book and/or author? Collins replied, “It is hard to narrow down what books or authors are my favorites. However, I will mention those whom I tend to re-read.” Collins says the Harry Potter series is one of her all-time favorites. She often re-reads Jane Austen as well; Persuasion is her favorite. She also enjoys the novels that she teaches: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Once and Future King, The Mayor of Casterbridge and Shakespeare “to name a few.”