Tarik Cohen: Superstar potential

Avery Dugan, Staff Writer

As I laid in bed on September 13, all I could think about was football; the one person that came to my head was Tarik Cohen, running back for the Chicago Bears. When I watched him play last Sunday, September 10, he showed great speed and awareness, two great qualities of a playmaker.  

When I think of the name Cohen, I now think of a playmaker, which may be surprising since he is only 5 foot 6 inches tall. He put up great numbers Sunday as he ran for 66 yards and received for 47 yards. He had a total of 158 all purpose yards and scored a touchdown as a rookie in his first National Football League game.

In high school Cohen attended Bunn High School in Bunn, North Carolina. He was a two-sport athlete, playing football and participating in track and field. He led the Wildcats to a 9-3 record as a senior and to the third round of the North Carolina High School Athletic Association playoffs. He averaged 130 all purpose yards in his senior year at Bunn.

Cohen went to North Carolina A&T where he was an absolute stud and got the attention of many NFL scouts. Some of his career stats at North Carolina A&T include the 5th best rush per game, 3rd best rush per carry, and ranked 11th for touchdowns in a year.

Although he may be one of the smallest players on the team, he is also one of the best after watching him carry and catch the ball on Sunday. He showed so much confidence with the ball; he had great vision and is a very shifty runner with big play ability. His big play ability is a trait the Bears haven’t had in a while.

You can catch him in action next this Sunday, September 17 at noon against the Buccaneers, but buckle up you’re in for a ride.