Third Take- MiLB Star?

Avery Dugan, Staff Writer

On August 30, 2016, my phone was blowing up with ESPN and CBS Sports notifications about Tim Tebow’s plans to try out for a professional baseball team. As I sat in my chair after a long day watching Twitter go crazy about Tim Tebow, I thought, maybe he wants to just be back in a sport and compete; maybe he just wants to do something for a good time, or maybe he wants to do this because he loves the sport and thinks he can be successful.

As I sat at lunch on Wednesday, September 28, 2016, I got a notification on my phone from ESPN saying Tim Tebow hit a homerun in his first Instructional League Game. Later that night I found out not only was it his first at-bat, but it was the first pitch he saw. SO if we could make up a stat he was 1:1 with pitches seen and home runs, his batting average was 1.000, and his slugging average was 4.000. Yes, he did get off to a great start, but he did not finish the game how he would have liked as his batting average and slugging average slowly started to fall after every at-bat. Tebow ended the day 1-6 with a home run. Although he could not finish the day strong, there is always an upside with how he played.

Tim Tebow’s past says he can be a very good baseball player as he was an All-State player his junior season at Nease High School  and was highly recruited by college baseball coaches and even a few pro teams. He did not play his senior year of high school though because he enrolled early at the University of Florida. This is when his baseball career would stop and take a break until Wednesday, September 28, 2016, when he made his return and hit a homerun for the New York Mets’ instructional league team.

As a fan of the game and Tim Tebow, I wish him all the best and believe he can have a future in baseball. I think he does want to play the game for the right reasons, and I believe he is.

Video of the Homerun: http://www.tmz.com/2016/09/28/tim-tebow-home-run-on-first-at-bat-in-instructional-league-game/