Benjamin Fletcher: For the love of dissections

Kylie McCaherty, Staff Writer

Benjamin Fletcher is one of Jacksonville High School’s science teachers, and this school year is his second year as a teacher. Mr. Fletcher attended Blackburn College located in Carlinville, IL, where he received his Bachelor’s degree in Biology with a Business Administration minor. He is currently enrolled with the University of Illinois at Springfield pursuing his Master’s in Public Health online.

Mr. Fletcher became a Biology teacher because he had just graduated college and was looking for employment. He had never thought about becoming a teacher, but he thought “let’s give this a shot.” He had zero experience but has taken the challenge very well! This is his first year teaching Zoology; last year he only taught Biology.

He says that he likes teaching Zoology this year because it gives him a break to talk about something new between his Biology classes. This has allowed him to stay on top of his game with each class. When asked what his favorite Biology lesson to teach was, he responded that it would be “like a father trying to pick a favorite child.” But he does love talking about human anatomy and the immune system. Since this is his first year teaching Zoology, he has not picked a favorite lesson, but he is very excited to teach the Chordates and Mammals unit. His favorite aspect of the class is that they get to perform dissections on a regular basis. He thinks this is a great experience for the students.

Mr. Fletcher has some advice for students who struggle in science classes. He says, “If you are struggling in a science class, ask for help. If you don’t ask me for help, then you will not receive the extra help you are needing. Take an extra few minutes to read over the material, ask another question if you’re confused, stay after class and ask a question. Natural selection plays its course for those who try to help themselves succeed and for those who allow themselves to drown. That choice is up to the student.”