CEO: A learning experience outside of the classroom

Abby Mitchell, Staff Writer

A new year has begun at Jacksonville High School and so has the CEO program. Unfortunately many students at JHS are unaware of what CEO is. Many do not know what CEO stands for let alone what it all entails.

CEO stands for creating entrepreneurial opportunities. The program was started just a few years ago in the Springfield area, and JHS became a part of it in 2013. Every year students apply to the program with an essay discussing who they are and why they believe that they should be a part of the program. JHS is part of the Morgan-Scott CEO program which includes students from Jacksonville High School, Winchester High School, Triopia High School, Meredosia High School, and Routt Catholic High School.

CEO teaches students things that they are not able to learn by sitting in a classroom. The program allows students to network with  people by listening to business people speak two to four days out of the five-day school week. The students are able to visit businesses throughout their communities and learn all about how the world works after high school and college. The students in the program are also taught many different social skills. They are urged to listen effectively, shake hands, be timely, and dress professionally on a daily basis.

So far this school year, the students have been able to experience many new and exciting things that a senior, who is not in the program, may not be able to experience. They have visited businesses such as Arends Awe, Jacksonville Art Glass, The Jacksonville Journal Courier, the First National Bank of Winchester, Jacksonville Visitors Bureau along with other places in the Morgan and Scott County area.

Currently, the students are in the process of planning their own class event. By planning this event by themselves with the money that they raised at the start of the year, the students are able to learn about time management, social skills, and how to manage on a budget.

Next semester the class will be taking the profits from their class business to establish their own individual businesses. Students will come up with their own ideas and business plans to start a real life business in which they can make their own real life money.

The CEO Program is not only a great way to integrate high school students into the community, but it also teaches them life skills that students are not able to learn at their own high schools.