Second time around

Lydia K. Beard, Staff Writer

It’s not every day you get to spend three weeks in a foreign country experiencing their culture and way of life. It’s also not every day that you get to return and create your own trip and memories at the same destination. Sabrina Hillmer, however, is lucky to be able to do both. After coming on the GAPP trip several years ago and returning during a college break, Sabrina was here at JHS to learn and discover some details she just couldn’t get on her first exchange.

From Stadensen, a small town in the Uelzen district, Sabrina came with 17 other students in the fall of 2010 to JHS from HEG. She stayed with Clara Lee and her family. Sabrina states that her favorite experience was just being with her host family; however, she did enjoy the trip to St. Louis. Sabrina also hosted Clara when Clara came to Uelzen during the 2013 GAPP trip.

Currently attending the University of Hannover, Sabrina has been observing classes here at JHS. Since she was still in contact with Clara, she was able to stay with them. Sabrina has been sitting in on English and geography classes. She hopes to become a teacher in those subjects. Though she must get a masters to teach, she will only attend the university for five years.

Sabrina has always wanted to be a teacher. With the exchange, however, the ideas sparked her interest. She hopes to establish an exchange similar to GAPP when she becomes a teacher. Sabrina states that “teaching is not only about being in the classroom, but it’s also, especially when you teach a language, it’s also about exchanges.”

Unlike most America seniors choosing a college, Sabrina did not struggle. Hannover is only an hour away from Uelzen, making her closer to home than many colleges. The university also offered the subject areas she was interested in. Many of her friends are in Hannover. She applied and because her graduation grades were good enough, she was accepted. On average, per semester, Sabrina will spend less than 4,000 dollars on administrative fees and living (Germany has abolished tuition fees for every state). To her, everything just seemed right at the time. So far she likes practically everything about her university and city.

While Sabrina has been observing classes, she has noticed some differences between teaching styles of the two countries. In Germany students are required to participate more, especially since it is 50% of their grade. Students must often present in front of the class or teach their peers the lessons. Here in America, that is not extremely common. Though honors and AP classes challenge students to do similar things, students’ speaking skills here are not often as exercised as they are in Germany.

Sabrina will be leaving Jacksonville soon to travel to other parts of the country. She has enjoyed her time here at JHS and with her host family. This trip has taught her many different things such as, learning depends on the teacher and that she wants to teach in a room with windows. (Every room at the HEG has huge windows whereas here there are barely any windows, let alone large windows). Before she leaves, wish her all the luck on her journey to becoming a teacher wherever life takes her!