Marching Crimsons end on a high note

Ashley Orendoff, Staff Writer

Over the course of the first months of school, the Jacksonville Marching Crimsons have improved leaps and bounds. From our first home game performance to our very last competition, our show has gone from okay to good and from good to great. As clarinet player Maggie Doss said, “I think that as a whole we sound very good. A lot of people cared this year and caring pays off in the end.”

In this case it paid off by winning us second place at the Western Illinois University marching competition. Alyssa Barrow, a freshman in the color guard said, “I’m proud of our band for everyone’s hard work and getting us to second place at WIU.” Alyssa’s pride is reflected in every member of the band. Our accomplishments this year, from getting the Best Drum Major award at Mt. Zion to our second place win at Western, have made this a good season. Sadie VanBebber, a freshman in the drum line said, “It’s sad knowing that marching season is over, but I’m glad that it happened. I’m proud of all that we accomplished.” Indeed, the band has received many compliments, which are then relayed by Mr. Johnson, saying that the band has improved over past years, and even on itself over the course of the season. Mr. Johnson also said, “We had a great finish to our competitive marching season. At the WIU field show competition we placed second out of the four bands in our class. The band marched and played the best they have all year. The entire group should be very proud of their final performance of the season.”

If one has never experienced a marching competition, they are missing out. First, there is usually an abnormally long bus ride, possibly because time simply goes slower on busses. Once arriving at the school or college that is hosting the competition, we are given the necessary information, where the food is and where the bathrooms are, and we are free to watch other bands until our prep time. Most competitions order the bands in divisions of smallest to largest, as Jacksonville High School boasts an AAA division band, it is generally later in the evening before we perform. The Western competition was no exception. Waiting on the track outside the field, the anticipation and excitement builds. Then the band takes the field and time stops. The drum majors call us to attention, and we begin the show. From the first note to the last, the thrill never dies, and it is only as the band marches off the field and past the applause from the audience that we can truly appreciate the time spent practicing and perfecting. While there are long bus rides, crowds, and an awful lot of waiting, the performance, the crowd and the music are all worth it.

The Western competition was especially so as it was the last competition for the seniors. All of the seniors met before the band began preparing for the performance. We all listened as Cady Brechbiel, one of the newer band assistants, complimented us on our season and passed out commemorating necklaces for all of us. We ended our group session with a group hug and more than a few tears. Drum Major Emily Miner said,” This was my last season as a Marching Crimson, and it’s still kind of hard to believe.” While another senior Katie Davidsmeyer said, “As a senior, I am very sad that it’s over, but I know that we did the best we could and I’ll miss the marching band.” And lastly as Julian Evans said, “We ended it on a high note.”