JHS swims toward a cure

Madison Reynolds, Staff Writer

On October 11, 2016, the Jacksonville High School swim team held their annual Breast Cancer Awareness meet against Routt Catholic High School.  The meet was held at Illinois College, where both teams came together and presented a check to the MIA Ware Foundation.

Prior to this meet, each swimmer was given a form to gather sponsors to either donate a flat amount or an amount that would add up with each fifty-yard lap a swimmer would swim in the Swim for a Cure practice. At the Swim for a Cure practice, swimmers were required to swim continuously for the entire time that they were at practice. At the end of the practice, each swimmer was to count up how many fifty-yard laps they swam. They would report how many laps they swam to their sponsors to let them know how much money they would owe. The total amount that both teams donated to the MIA Ware Foundation was over $700. All that money goes towards the research for breast cancer.

Along with this meet being breast cancer awareness, it was also senior night for the Jacksonville seniors. Bella Munoz and Lauren Westrope were the two seniors this year.  The coach, Sam Black, introduced both of them to the crowd and they were given a rose to give to their parents. Sam mentioned how long they have been on the swim team, their future plans, and how much they have given to the team in their years of being on the team.

Routt Catholic High School won the meet, but everyone did a fantastic job! People from both teams set new personal records for themselves or any of the relays they might have been in. All in all, it was a good meet that provided money and support to a great cause!