Second Take: Tim Tebow–MiLB star?

Joe Hall, Guest Writer

Joe Hall is a 2016 graduate of Jacksonville High School. He now attends Ball State University in Muncie, IN.  Joe is an avid fan of the Chicago Cubs, Bears, and Blackhawks, as well as the Minnesota Timberwolves. Nowadays, you will find him in the athletic center running laps on the suspended indoor track or on the mound at the McCulloch Park baseball field perfecting his submarine delivery and pitching for the Ball State club baseball team. Joe has also recently become hooked on the ESPN show First Take, which is the basis of his column…Second Take. After graduating from college, Joe hopes to get a job for a major sports team or a network where he could call games or “embrace debate” with other analysts over hot button sports topics.

second-take-logo

I wish that I could begin this column talking about a better topic…But I simply cannot until I get this off my chest. I understand this is old news, but I wish to finally get this behind me.

On August 30, 2016, I sat at my desk watching ESPN after returning from my West and the World class, forgetting that the one-time Heisman Award winner had a tryout for a baseball team. While I sat at my desk, my phone was bombarded with messages, emails, and Twitter notifications. I spotted a notification about former Broncos, Jets, and Eagles QB Tim Tebow running a 6.6 40-yard dash and how that wa as good as Derek Jeter or Mike Trout. Then, I saw a tweet from former First Take commentator Skip Bayless praising Tim Tebow, saying that he “looked sensational. At 29, he’s still a big stud athlete who can run.”

Now, keep in mind, this is the same Skip Bayless who actually forced Stephen A. Smith to literally, legitimately walk off the set of First Take during a debate about Is Kobe Bryant Overpaid?” During that debate, Bayless asked Smith, “Should Tim Tebow make 27 million dollars? Because he is big box-office.” Later Bayless is quoted as saying, “Tim Tebow is a bigger draw than Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.” I will include the link to that clip at the end of this article.

The next tweet I saw was from Smith, saying, “I am officially sick to my stomach. Tim Tebow ran a 6.6 in the 60 yard dash — basically home plate to 2nd base. So he is basically better than Jeter and…”

Let me tell you, at the time, I felt the exact same way. I was utterly disgusted with this. “Timmy” Tebow does not deserve a chance to get into the MLB. Think of all of the really good high school or college prospects who submit tons of hours of footage of themselves doing what they love, then to have a disgraced former NFL quarterback just come out of the blue and say virtually, “I want to play baseball. I am going to have a showcase at USC on August 30th. Any team who wants to take a look at me…COME OUT!!”

Do you know how many teams ended up coming out? 28/30 teams! That number disgusted me to the point where I almost avoided Twitter for the rest of that week, albeit unsuccessfully. Only the Chicago Cubs and Oakland Athletics did not make an appearance. On September 8, 2016, Tebow signed a minor league pact with the New York Mets.  

I swear, during that “break” between August 30 and September 8, I tried so hard not to follow the Tebow-MLB epic storyline that developed. I wrote a piece the day of his showcase stating my beliefs but was apprehensive about sharing it.

Don’t get me wrong. I am a Timmy Tebow fan. Just not, as of right now. Tebow deserves another chance to play in the NFL, but  NOT as a quarterback because he can’t throw the ball. He could be used more so as a tight end or a running back. The arrogance that ensued during this is amazing to me. Here is a guy who REFUSES to switch positions in the NFL, who only wants to be a quarterback, then he jumps ship and takes a spot away from another kid who clearly deserves it? Are you kidding me?

To make matters worse, September 19, 2016, is the day that Tebow reported to the Mets instructional facility in Florida. Children were lined up around the ballpark to see Tebow. The Mets also started to sell Tebow merchandise as of yesterday as well. Ahh…Please… Just lay off the Tebow “bandwagon” please fans.
The link to the segment of the First Take clip is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAW1kAXDrAk