Elite Eight Midwest Region: The “Villain” of the NCAA Tournament

Joe Hall, Staff Writer

Syracuse8

When talking about Syracuse basketball, the word “underdog” isn’t normally used to describe them. Normally, they are somewhat in the title hunt. They normally have a really good seed coming into this tournament. Not this year. Following their coach’s suspension for recruiting violations and a late season collapse, the Orange found themselves with a 10-seed in the tournament, technically in a Cinderella status, which normally doesn’t apply to them. At the beginning of the tourney, when looking at a bracket, one would realize that Syracuse would not advance that far. Many thought that their demise would come at the hands of Michigan State. That did not happen as Michigan State lost in the first round to Middle Tennessee State. That win probably gave them a shot at the Sweet 16 at the very least, provided the Blue Raiders did not upset them as well, which did not happen. Syracuse actually made it to the Sweet 16 and knocked off Gonzaga in the process. Just as it looked as if they could be dancing in Houston, another obstacle appeared in their own conference foe, the Virginia Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers dominated the first half. At the break they were leading by 16. Syracuse used a monster second half, including at one point a 15-0 run to retake the lead.  Virginia had the opportunity to tie the game late, provided they hit both free throws. They hit only one of them. Syracuse would use that leverage to come away with the game 68-62.

Syracuse freshman guard Malachi Richardson said of the win, “This is a dream come true for me.”

This run could qualify Syracuse as the “villain of the tournament.” Think about it: A) They should not have made the tournament in the first place and B) They beat good teams to get to the Final Four, even after their coach was suspended and they virtually collapsed at the end of the season.

Syracuse moves on to play the winner of the contest between North Carolina and Notre Dame in the Final Four from Houston.