Sweet 16 West Region: Oklahoma blows by A&M

Joe Brannan, Staff Writer

Oklahoma16

For the first time in this NCAA Tournament, Buddy Hield didn’t lead his team in scoring and failed to reach the twenty-point mark.  It didn’t matter though as Jordan Woodard and company helped thrust the Sooners into the Elite Eight with a win over the Aggies of Texas A&M.  Woodard led all scorers with 22 points on an efficient 8/11 shooting performance including an astonishing 5-6 from behind the three-point line.  Hield was “held” way under his typical scoring mark as he poured in “just” 17 points.  Even on Buddy’s so-called bad nights, he still finds ways to impact the game.  To go along with his scoring, Hield grabbed a game high 10 rebounds from his shooting guard position, which is a very impressive statistic.  Also in double figures for the Sooners were forwards Khadeem Lattin and Ryan Spangler who each notched 10 points apiece.  Christian James came off the bench to add 12 points for Oklahoma.  As for A&M, they were led by freshman center Tyler Davis who put up 17 points in the losing effort.  Jalen Jones and Danuel House were the only two other Aggies in double figures with 11 and 10 points respectively.

A&M looked strong early as they jumped out to an early lead only to completely fall apart late in the first half.  Oklahoma ended the half on a 30-8 run to head to the break with a commanding 19-point lead.  They never lost the lead, and A&M never even sniffed at a comeback as the Sooners rolled to a victory and a spot in the Elite Eight.

Oklahoma will take the Ducks of Oregon and their talented duo of Dillon BRooks and Elgin Cook for a chance at the Final Four.