2nd Round West Region: Duke holds off Yale

Joe Brannan, Staff Writer

Duke2

Grayson Allen and Brandon Ingram are good, very good.  The dynamic scoring duo played brilliantly early in the game.  Ingram sunk a three on Duke’s first possession and Allen soon followed with a triple of his own to get the Blue Devils out to an early advantage over the Bulldogs of Yale.  Allen, a sophomore, and Ingram, a freshman, continued to score at will as Yale defensively had no answer on how to stop these two.  Duke road the backs of their two stars to a 46-19 lead with just under 3 minutes remaining in the first half.  Duke would keep a foot on the gas pedal and blow the Bulldogs out of the gym, right? Wrong. From this point until the end of the half Yale would embark on a small 6-2 scoring run that would set up a monumental comeback in the second half.  Yale opened the half on a 22-6 scoring run where they built off of the momentum they were able to establish at the end of the first half to cut the deficit to 54-47.  Yale had overcame a once 27 score differential and made a basketball game out of what looked to be a blowout from the beginning.  Duke stiffened and starting trading baskets with Yale, something they hadn’t been able to do when the Bulldogs went on their big run to get back into the game.  The Blue Devils would extend their lead back to double figures only to have Yale make one last run for a chance to play in the Sweet Sixteen.  They would get as close as 65-61 with just over a minute remaining, but that’s as close as it would get.  Duke escaped with a 71-64.  Grayson Allen led the way with 29 points and Brandon Ingram followed suit with 25 points of his own.  For Yale, Brandon Sherrod had a team high 22 points.

Duke moves on to face Oregon who has their own dynamic duo of scorers in Dillon Brooks and Elgin Cook.