Senior year blues

Camri Anderson, Staff Writer

As my senior year is starting to dwindle down, I am beginning to realize how many last experiences or moments have taken place in the last couple of months. Now, most seniors around this time of year are more than ready to hit the road for college and move on to bigger and better things. Don’t get me wrong, I am definitely feeling the so-called “senioritis” that everyone speaks of, but I am also feeling melancholy and bittersweet about the “lasts” of my senior year.

For instance, this past weekend was the musical and is was my last show here at Jacksonville High School. The theatre department, as a whole, has become developed and well rounded, just like me during my time here at JHS. My freshman year we performed Fiddler on the Roof which was picked to show off the senior talent we had at JHS during that time. I remember dancing with a bottle on my head in the bar scene from Fiddler on the Roof. I also recall that I blocked the big nighttime scene with Fruma-Sarah, Tevye, and Golde. This year we did something completely different in the theatre department. We took a shot at Disney. When I heard that our show was going to be The Little Mermaid, I was shocked. I ended up being cast as Ursula for my senior year performance which was something I never thought would happen. Yes, I am going into Musical Theatre for college, but Ursula is a dream role every alto wishes to play. I never thought I’d actually get the chance.

Last weekend, I took my final bow on the Jacksonville High School stage. I got misty-eyed during my solo bow. This year I got a big enough role so I got to take a bow by myself, which was so cool. I never in a million years thought I would hear so much applause during bows. Again, this is a moment all theatre kids dream about. This last is one that I will remember forever.

I also had my last solo and ensemble contest this month and my last Dessert and Dazzle fundraiser. I was shocked to find myself feeling a little sad when leaving PORTA after the solo and ensemble contest. Through all the tiredness and nervousness, I still found myself feeling accomplished but sad. Even at Dessert and Dazzle, I was feeling the same way. Sometimes stress, tiredness, and exhaustion can make you feel some type of way. Again, this isn’t me bawling my eyes out upset but just a little sentimental about all the lasts I have experienced thus far in my high school journey.

With all the excitement coming up for seniors, I can’t wait to experience more “lasts” that my senior year will have. While yes, it is sad to see so many high school activities come to a close, there are so many more opportunities to come. These senior blues turns into a happy song at the end.