On your mark, get set, Go!

Ellie Smith, Staff Writer

It’s 7:30 on a muggy Monday morning in the middle of June. Moisture seems to hang in the air as bed heads arrive to community park wearing their running shoes and clothes they don’t mind soaking in sweat, hard work and dedication.

I can’t remember how many of these mornings I’ve had since I started cross country. As a senior, I have participated in cross country for six years starting in seventh grade. When I started, I wasn’t the best and could hardly run a mile at a time. Little did I know that by the time I became a freshman in high school, I would be running over three hundred miles in a summer with ease.

But what did I have to show for this hard work? At times it seemed like nothing could be achieved, just chasing pavement. But at the end of grades 7, 8, and 9, our cross country team made it to state. These were some of the best memories I have had with the friends and teammates that went to the top with me. I will never forget watching Emma Chelsvig receive All-State status or Morgan Suttles set record breaking times.  

Jeremy Degroot and Breck VanBebber have been incredible coaches who helped the jr. and sr. high cross country teams realize their potential,  exceed expectations, and overcome limitations. Without their help, our team’s dream could have never been reached.

For those who are unfamiliar with the sport, cross country is an endurance sport. The races consist of running three miles for time. The top five runners and their place number are added together. The team with the lowest number wins. It is gratifying to make such achievements.

This year, the girl’s and boy’s cross country team advanced to both regionals and sectionals. With a team that is young and spry, there is hope for another shot at state in the future. Good luck, runners!