Rachel Weber: Paving the way for a new definition of teacher

Mary Rose Prewitt, Staff Writer

Mrs. Rachel Weber is the media center specialist that students might have see a couple times throughout the year here at Jacksonville High School. This is the eighth year that Rachel Weber has worked in the media center at JHS, helping students find books or with the computers in the labs.  

Weber started her teaching career in Virginia, Illinois, where she taught fifth grade and coached basketball at the high school level.  Mrs. Weber has taught for twenty years and has spent eight years of her career here at JHS in the media center. Before she worked at JHS, she worked at Winchester for four years when the media center position opened up here. She says that it was a perfect fit since her children attend District 117.

Mrs. Weber chose to be a librarian because as any librarian will tell you, reading is important, and she likes to help students become lifelong learners and readers.   

Because she works in the media center, Mrs. Weber gets to see kids that she normally wouldn’t  get to see. Mrs. Weber gets to see so many kids, and that’s part of the reason she loves working here. Weber says that is makes for a great day. She loves to see the kids that come in to read, work on projects, papers, and study. Weber also has a daughter that goes to JHS, Liddy Weber, who is a sophomore this year. Weber says that her daughter always brings a smile to her face.

Some of the things that Mrs. Weber likes most about JHS is seeing all the talented students that go here.  She loves to go to the events and see the students and their individual talents and hobbies, including her daughter who is in the band! She supports all the musicians, athletes, and artists that go to JHS.