Meet the members of the JHS Homecoming court

Abby Mitchell, Staff Writer

homecoming-court

Homecoming is an exciting time for everyone throughout the JHS community, but it is an especially special time for those elected to the Homecoming court. This year’s Homecoming court was announced the Friday prior to Homecoming week. The court includes ten students who exemplify various qualities, are involved in an array of sports and clubs, and have many different interests and hobbies. Let’s meet the JHS Homecoming court of 2016!

The first member to introduce is Hunter Hartsook. Hunter has played football for four years at JHS. He is also involved in Key Club at JHS where he volunteers for the community of Jacksonville. Outside of school Hunter enjoys being with his friends. In the summer he likes to go boating with his family, fish at Lake Jacksonville, go camping, and take motorcycle rides. Next year Hunter plans to attend  a four-year university in order to study criminal justice.

The next member on the JHS Homecoming court is Abby Mitchell. Abby is involved with a few different clubs at JHS. She is the president of Interact club, which is connected through Rotary in Jacksonville. She is also in DECA, the business club at JHS, where she is a first-year club president. Abby also puts time into Key Club where she holds the title of recruiter. She is also in both NHS as vice-president and NEHS. Both cheerleading and soccer have been important to Abby during high school. When outside of school, she enjoys spending time with her friends and family and going to new shops and restaurants. In the fall Abby plans on attending either the University of Illinois or the University of Texas.

The next court member to introduce is Ben Hill. Ben is a part of student government where he votes on and makes decisions for the entire student body. He has played both baseball and football all four years of high school. These two sports have, in part, shaped Ben into a who he is today. In Ben’s free time, he enjoys binge watching shows on Netflix. He often works at Papa Murphy’s as a part time job, making pizzas.

Another nominated individual of homecoming court is Ariel Mansholt. Ariel participates in both soccer and cross country at JHS. She is also the president of the student government here at JHS. Ariel is in both the National Honor Society where she serves as president and the National English Honor Society. She is the vice-president of ASL club and is also involved in FCA, Science CLub, DECA, and the REF Program here at school. Outside of school Ariel often does a lot of volunteering. She volunteers with Big Brothers, Big Sisters and is a volunteer coach for the junior high club soccer team. Some of Ariel’s hobbies include reading, running, and sometimes shopping. Next year she plans on attending Southwestern University in Texas to play soccer and major in Kinesiology.

Next up is James White. James has played both basketball and football here at JHS all four years. JHS athletics are special to James and have helped him develop as an athlete. He just broke the record for becoming the all-time receptions leader in the entire CS8. In his free time, James enjoys spending time with his friends and family and playing sports. Next year James plans on going to college to continue his career in athletics.

The next member to introduce is Dani Rondeau. Dani spends a lot of her time working at Prairie State Bank and Trust as a customer service representative where she has been employed for almost two years. Dani also works part time at Krush Nutrition on Saturdays. Through her job, she has been able to donate to United Way for the past year. At Jacksonville High School, Dani is involved in both the science club and the yearbook club. Although most of her time is spent working and at school, when she has free time, she enjoys going shopping and trying her best to put in some volunteer time. Dani plans on attending the University of Missouri to receive her undergraduate degree. After graduating from Mizzou, she plans getting her masters and specializing in labor and delivery, becoming a travel L&D nurse.

Another member of the 2016 court is Klay Wood. Klay is involved in both football and baseball at JHS. Klay has been in both sports for all four years of high school and has taken a special liking to football. At Jacksonville High School, he is in the National English Honor Society due to his outstanding grades in English throughout his high school career. He is also involved in Big Brothers, Big Sisters within the community. When Klay has time in his busy schedule, he likes to go hunting and fishing and has enjoyed doing these things since he was little. He also enjoys being with his friends whenever possible. For Klay’s further education, he plans to attend a four-year university where he can continue to play football.

Kaylee Ezard is also a member of Jacksonville High School’s Homecoming court this year. Kaylee has been a cheerleader at JHS for three years, cheering for both football and basketball. Being in both Key Club and science club, Kaylee has been able to develop new skills and has learned numerous different things. Outside of school, Kaylee is also involved in the Big Brother, Big Sister program. Some of her favorite hobbies include being with her friends and shopping whenever possible. Kaylee has a job at Kirlin’s where she has really enjoyed working. Next year Kaylee wants to attend a four-year university.

Lastly for your 2016 JHS Homecoming king and queen: Steven Albers and Zoe Wood.

Steven is a very involved individual at JHS. He is the Senior Class President in the student government, the president of Crimson Courage, a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and a member of the Science Club. Steven has played both soccer and basketball all four years at JHS and just last year joined the football team as the kicker. When Steven is not busy with school affairs, he is playing soccer and participating in his youth group. He also likes to go fishing and play sports with his friends. In college Steven plans to play soccer or football but has still not made a decision.

Queen Zoe is also very involved at JHS. Zoe is a four-year member of the volleyball team; she is a senior co-captain. She is in the Key Club associated with JHS and has been inducted into the National Honor Society, the National English Honor Society, and the National Society of High School Scholars. Through the CVE class at JHS, Zoe has an internship at The Source, a local newspaper in Jacksonville during a portion of each school day. Zoe enjoys taking pictures and is often able to take them for her internship. After graduating high school, Zoe hopes to attend the University of Alabama for sports medicine.

This year’s Homecoming court participated in the pep-rally, parade, and were recognized at the Homecoming football game on Friday. Saturday night at the dance, coronation was held for the court members. Homecoming for the 2016-2017 school year has come to a close, but the memories of it will live on with the students, teachers, and alumni.