Emile Granveau: Bordeaux to Jacksonville

Megan Evans, Staff Writer

Emile Granveau is here at Jacksonville High School visiting us all the way from France! We are fortunate enough to have him with us for the school year thanks to the Academic Year Program. Emile is from Bordeaux, France, and if you are as clueless in the subject of geography as I am, he was kind enough to explain that it is south west. Also, it is about eight driving hours from Paris, close to the ocean, and near Spain. A common theme is repeated once again, and Emile states that his friends here have been great to him. He enjoys the sports and slew of activities we hold here, and once again says, “A lot of people are very nice, and I know I can ask them for some help.” Emile experienced an incredible amount of uncertainties while traveling to the U.S. including, not knowing anyone, struggling with not being fluent in English, and the unknowns of the American culture. Taking a glance into the future, Emile hopes to make the best of his stay, as he states, “Just keep enjoying all the moments with my family and my friends.” Also, his school in France has class from six in the morning to six o’clock at night! Try fitting in sports or free time with that schedule! They also do not choose their classes or drive legally until the age of eighteen! Emile sums up all of his explaining in his own words when he says, “It’s kind of the same as in France but it is also so different.” Welcome to JHS, Emile! May this year hold countless breathtaking moments and plenty of sports!