Buford Stowers: Not your ordinary English teacher

Megan Evans, Staff Writer

Timothy “Buford” Stowers has a record of twelve full-time years at Jacksonville High School teaching English as well as Interpersonal Communications. He attended Springfield High School and furthered his education at Illinois College, which seemed to have been a tradition with many of his family members. He also has his Master’s Degree, which he received online from the American College of Education. He was led to teaching mainly because he was introduced to some incredible teachers who made class enjoyable for him while he was in school. He stated, “I knew that that was the type of teacher I would want to be.” One of Stowers’ brothers showed him the inspiring movie Dead Poets Society, and the role of the somewhat unconventional yet lovable teacher, played by Robin Williams, was a huge inspiration to his teaching career. He loves the joy of sharing undiscovered knowledge with students and feeling the connection as a story or piece of work clicks in a student’s mind. He feels as though everyone should experience the work of Edgar Allan Poe and William Shakespeare, as they are two of his favorite writers. The most challenging part of his job is when students do not participate in their own growth of knowledge. Although refusal to learn can be frustrating for a teacher, if students begin to appreciate the things they’ve learned at some point in their lives, he feels as though his job is being done. Including his job here at Jacksonville High School, he’s worked at a video store and enjoyed being a barista at a local coffee shop. His favorite book is The Stranger by Albert Camus, and he feels as though it had a life changing impact on his life. He loves all three Toy Story movies, but who doesn’t love them? Stowers loved being involved in several clubs and activities throughout high school and enjoyed theatre and acting in plays. He sends an important reminder to all students that teachers have a stressful and difficult job as well, and it is necessary to work with each other to have an effective classroom. His advice is clear to the class of 2016 when he says, “Try new things. Come out of your metaphorical shell. Everyone’s preconceived idea of who you are won’t matter anymore.” Thank you, Mr. Stowers, for being an open-minded teacher with passion for your job!