Bill Gibson: Accounting for the best

Ashley Orendoff, Staff Writer

Bill Gibson has been a teacher for twenty-two years. However, he began his adult career by following in the footsteps of his father and joining the accounting field. He worked at Archer Daniels Midland Company in Decatur, Illinois for two years. Deciding to move on to teaching, Gibson got his undergraduate degree at Illinois College. He finished his schooling at the University of Illinois, graduating with a master’s degree in teaching. He taught for one year at Livington High School before becoming a Jacksonville Crimson.

Throughout his teaching career, Gibson has also been very active in coaching sports. He currently coaches cross country and boys basketball at Turner Junior High. Previously he has coached softball, boys’ and girls’ basketball, and baseball. When he isn’t teaching or coaching, Gibson enjoys spending time with his family, golfing, and reading an array of novels, mostly action or mystery. Gibson says he has always been interested in teaching, and he enjoys it. “Some days are more difficult than others, but you could say that with any profession. All of us have our good and bad days. Just have to hope the good is a lot more than the bad. I’d not move to a new profession.”  It’s a good thing too because here at Jacksonville High School, Gibson teaches both Accounting I and Accounting II as well as supervising CVE students. As a student of his, I have found that the way he teaches is both fun and simple. He makes the concepts easy to understand and creates an entertaining classroom environment.

When asked what he was most looking forward to for this school year, he said, “Watching how it develops. Hoping I can solve any issues or problems that happen.” This is one of the things that makes Gibson a great teacher. He is always looking to make life better for his students, and for that we thank him.