Harry Styles Markets a Fake Island to Promote New Single

Jaylen Heady, Staff Writer

After announcing a month ago that a new album was on its way, Harry Styles has since released three singles from that album, the newest one being the most talked about. This past month has been nothing short of busy for the young star as he preps to debut his sophomore album Fine Line on December 13. The latest release from this anticipated album is his brand new track “Adore You.”

Before Styles even announced this release, fans had already figured out his plans. A month ago, cryptic advertisements for a vacation on an island called Eroda surfaced around social media. People were quick to notice and discover that Eroda is not a real location. Many sleuthed around and made guesses that the mysterious promotions had to do with video game launches, Dungeons and Dragons, or even the TV show Black Mirror. However, it was fans of Styles that were quick to debunk these theories by investigating Eroda’s involvement with Styles and his new album. They noticed that Eroda is “adore” backwards and put two and two together.

Developers of this scheme have gone on to reveal that once they saw the fans figuring the clues out, they adapted their plans based on what the fans knew. They even created a fake merchandise link to stir conversation. Nevertheless, it was revealed last week by Styles himself that he was in fact behind the land of Eroda and that his new single “Adore You,” as well as its music video, would be released on December 6 which falls one week prior to his big album launch.

The music video features this made-up island of Eroda as Styles plays a boy who befriends a magical fish due to the citizens shunning the boy because of his differences. Fans were quick to discuss the metaphorical meanings behind this concept, and it has been very well received. The video opens and closes with narration from one of the biggest Latina artists, Rosalía, which also got many fans excited.

Of course, the song itself is no short of excellent as Styles displays his incredible vocal range and is backed up by an extremely groovy guitar. Currently, the song is charted at number three on the Billboard charts. It goes without saying that the success of this final single before the drop is only a small indication of how well the entire album is expected to perform.