Maverick is a top gun at theaters

Alex Dufelmeier, Staff Writer

After decades of waiting, and then more delays mostly due to covid, the sequel to the 1986 classic Top Gun, finally released in cinemas across the world and to say it was a success would be an understatement. After its release in cinemas on May 27, the movie has become one of the longest in theater runs in history still airing around the US. 

Before the film even begins there is a video message from Tom Cruise speaking on how hard they worked on this film and how it is their pride and joy, and the film was just that. While there were plenty of things to balance between what characters to bring back, the time jump and simply living up to the love and hype of the original, which it did just that and then some. 

Pete “Maverick” Mitchell was a reckless character in the original, but he is much more refined and mature in the new film but still the beloved Maverick who pushes  the limits sometimes a little too far. The movie follows Maverick as he takes on his own team as an instructor at Top Gun teaching them to fly a mission. The standouts of the students are Glen Powell as Hangman and Miles Teller as Rooster. Hangman is a character very similar to Maverick in the original film– a very good pilot with a lot of arrogance and cockiness. One of the main plot points of the film and maybe the most powerful is the relationship between Maverick and Rooster due to Rooster’s father being Maverick’s wingman who was killed in the original film causing an interesting conflict between Rooster and Maverick. 

The movie has some incredible practical effects showing training sequences and dog fights using almost 100% real planes. The movie does an incredible job showing the pilots build as a team and become each other’s wingman. The film has an amazing third act showing an almost impossible flight and the destruction of an enemy nuclear plant. The third act brings incredible feelings of anxiety and emotion and viewers truly never know what will happen next. The film ends on a truly beautiful and emotional moment giving Maverick a life he loves and is satisfied with having Rooster in his life and having someone to love.

For movie viewers Maverick was a good film, and to Top Gun fans it was a truly amazing experience that was fun, action packed, emotional and so much more. Tom Cruise truly made a beautiful film with so much emotion and a truly refreshing experience in cinemas.