Like mother like daughter

Carlie Day, Staff Writer

Flashback to 2002, movie fans were introduced to a large, loud and in-your-face family known as the Portokalos. The Portokalos valued many things, but the top two values that they depend upon are family and anything Greek (which if you asked the father Gus, included everything… to him the universe originated in Greece). So when Gus (Michael Constantine) saw his daughter Toula (Nia Vardalos) unhappy, he thought he had the perfect solution: she needed a husband. But Toula wanted so much more than just a job at the family restaurant. Soon she was able to break away, marry a man that she chose, Ian (John Corbett), and get a job, but it took a long battle with the family to get there. Flash forward today. Toula is facing the same problems, not with herself but instead with her daughter, Paris (Elena Kampouris).

Now that Toula and Ian’s daughter Paris is graduating high school, she is ready to branch out on her own. Paris is beginning to look at colleges, but all she is interested in are out-of-state schools and her family is having a hard time coping. This forces Toula to let go a little bit, but she still doesn’t understand why her daughter wants to leave her. Facing Paris’s pending departure and marital issues with Ian due to a hectic schedule, now there is a bigger problem: her parents aren’t married. Gus discovers that his and his wife Maria’s (Lainie Kazan) marriage license had never been signed. Now added on top of everything is the need to plan an entire wedding.

Rated a 6.4 out of 10 by IMDb users My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is the much anticipated sequel that viewers have waited for. Go enjoy the work by Nia Vardalos to find out if the wedding will bring everyone together or rip the family apart entirely.