Anatevka leaves the Jacksonville stage

Hannah Preston, Staff Writer

Just as winter has come to a halt, Jacksonville High School’s spring musical, Fiddler on the Roof, has recently concluded its run.  With it comes the heaps of stress falling off the shoulders of the cast, crew, and directors.

This year’s production featured a variety of talent from the timid newcomers to the seasoned actors and actresses that have seen the stage lights on many occasions.  The returning cast were accustomed to the grind of this schedule, but the newbies quickly found that theater isn’t always fun and games.

In the eyes of a viewer, the show may seem like much less work that it actually is.  There is so much more than meets the eye on the nights of the performances.  Rehearsals began in early January and continued regularly until the opening weekend in mid-March, leaving the students involved with little free time.

Even beyond what goes on before the eyes of the audience, the crew was busy the entire time.  From staging the set for every scene change to the musicians in the pit to the light and sound directors, the people behind the scenes were the reason that this show in particular went off as well as it did, and these jobs take just as much commitment as the students’ on the stage.

Fiddler on the Roof appealed to a wide demographic since it comes with such a well-known name, and a decent crowd turned out for each of the performances, ranging from young children to many elders from all over the community.  Despite the tragic and thoughtful themes found in the musical, everyone involved was able to take away a positive feeling with the remarkable elements within the performances themselves.  Most of the music was solid as far as high school theater standards go, but several numbers stood out from the rest:  “The Dream,” “Do You Love Me,” “Far From the Home I Love,” and of course, “To Life” were some of the crowd favorites.

When Jacksonville students return to the stage next year for the fall play, there will be some raised expectations.  Through the effort put forth for Fiddler on the Roof, their potential shined brighter than ever before.  Break a leg, kids—and keep up the good work.